Frequently Asked Questions
  • Am I able to purchase online and be covered to travel the same day?
    Yes, as long as you are in the UK and you have not started your trip before purchasing. As soon as you have completed the transaction you are covered instantly, you will then immediately receive an email containing your policy schedule, policy wordings and key facts. We recommend reading these thoroughly to ensure the cover is sufficient for your needs.
  • A medical condition I have declared has been excluded. What does this mean for my cover?
    If a medical condition(s) is not accepted, we cannot cover any claim that directly or indirectly relates to the excluded condition(s). Any unrelated claim will still be covered.
  • I am looking to buy an annual policy, how long before my travels should I start my annual travel insurance policy?
    Have you already made travel plans? If yes then would recommend starting your annual policy as soon as possible. This will allow you to benefit from your cancellation cover. If you have not made any set travel plans, our annual policies can be purchased 1 month in advance, cancellation cover will be provided from specified start date.
  • I am currently travelling outside of the UK, am I able to renew my policy?
    You cannot renew, or purchase, policies whilst travelling outside your country of residence.
  • I need to make a claim, who should I contact?
    Is your claim to do with a medical emergency overseas including hospitalisation, medical related expenses, repatriation or evacuation? If yes, please call our 24 hour assistance company: Tel: +44 (0)1273 624 66 For all other claims information please click here.
  • Are the benefits for a group/family/couple policy per person?
    With the exception of Personal Liability (which applies per policy), all cover and policy benefits are applied per person. Please see section 10 of our Policy wording for more information on Personal Liability.
  • What is the maximum age you can insure up to?
    For a single trip policy we can insure anyone up to the age of 84. For an annual trip our maximum age in 78 years old. If you have any more queries about this matter please call 0333 9000 800 for assistance.
  • I am looking to purchase a policy but my age will change between date of purchase and my trip. What age should I enter when applying?
    We take into account birthdays between purchase date and date of trip. Please enter your current age, and we will work out the rest.
  • How can I pay for my policy online? Are my details secure?
    When purchasing online and on the phone, with one of our Travel Insurance Experts, debit card and credits are accepted. When submitting your payment details online, a secure server uses advanced encryption to ensure no-one else can read them, making sure your details are safe during transmission. In terms of your personal details, we hold them according to the Data Protection Act 1998. If you are having troubles with your transaction please check all personal and payment details are correct. If problem continues please call a Travel Insure Expert on 0333 9000 800.
  • What is Insurance Premium Tax and is it included in the prices shown on my quote?
    Insurance Premium Tax (IPT), varying on the country you live in, is a tax on general insurance premiums. We include the applicable rate of IPT in our policy premiums, so no nasty surprises at the end!
  • What is your maximum trip length?
    For a single trip policy we can offer cover for maximum trip lengths of 92 days, for our annual policies the maximum single trip trip length is 31 days. For our backpacker option you can travel up to 18 months.
  • I have been advised by my doctor to not travel abroad, will I still be able to get cover?
    We cannot cover you for your trip if travelling is going against medical advice you have received. If you have already purchased your policy and you are unable to travel you may be entitled to submit a cancellation claim.
  • Can I still have cover if I have an existing medical condition?
    We still may be able to cover you under your chosen policy however this is dependent on declaring your medical condition(s) when purchasing your policy. For further help and enquiries please click here for our policy wording, or ring 0333 9000 800 to speak to one of our Travel Insurance Experts.
  • Do I need to declare any type of medical condition?
    Please visit our policy wording, and refer to the Pre-existing Medical Conditions section to view medical conditions that are automatically accepted within our policies (and therefore you do not need to declare). If you are still unsure about declaring medical conditions please call 0333 9000 800 Mon to Fri 8.30am - 6.00pm.
  • A member of the family/group/couple, that is not the main traveller, has an existing medical condition; are they still covered under this policy?
    At the medical screening section, when purchasing any policy, ALL insured persons with existing medical conditions MUST declare their condition(s).
  • I am going on a skiing holiday and have not purchased a winter sports policy. If I get injured, will I be covered?
    No, to be covered for any winter sports, including skiing, you would need to upgrade to a winter sports policy. This will insure that any winter sports related injuries are covered, along with loss of equipment etc. For more detail on our winter sports cover please view our Policy Wording.
  • Can I claim for not being able to ski if the pistes are closed at my resort?
    Provided you have purchased a winter sports policy, and you have been prevented from skiing at a pre-booked resort for more than 12 consecutive hours, we will pay the amount specified in the terms and conditions regarding piste closure. Please see the Piste Closure section of our policy wording.
  • Can I take part in extreme sports while I'm away? If so what are these?
    We are able to cover certain activities and sports automatically, these are listed in the policy wording. If the activity you are looking to take part in is not covered, you will not be entitled to claim for anything to do with this activity, but cover for unrelated claims is still maintained.
  • Am I covered to travel within the UK?
    We can cover travel within the UK, as long as your country of residence is England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Island and Isle of Man. For your travel insurance to apply, you will need to travel over 25 miles away from your house of residence. To get an annual policy to just cover UK countries, please purchase a policy for Europe.
  • Are there any countries that Insure and Away do not cover?
    Please visit the FCO website for a list of countries that they do not advise travel to. These are the countries that we unfortunately cannot provide cover for.
  • I have already purchased an annual policy that covers Europe. I am now looking to travel to America, can I upgrade my policy to cover this destination?
    Yes, we can upgrade your policy, please call 0333 9000 800 for assistance in doing this.
  • What can I do if my payment is not working/processing?
    If you are having trouble with your payment, please check all your details are correct. This includes Payment details and Personal details such as your billing address. If you have entered all details correctly and are still experiencing problems, please call one of our Travel Insurance Expert on 0333 9000 800.
  • When travelling, should I take my policy document with me?
    We advise you read your policy schedule and policy wording before travel at time of purchase. You should also take these with you on your trip(s), to ensure you understand the extent that your policy covers. Please take your policy number and the emergency telephone number with you.
  • Will you send me my documents?
    When purchasing a policy, on the confirmation page there will be links for you to download you documents. These documents will also be automatically emailed to you, please allow 15 minutes for email to arrive; if you do not receive the email in your inbox, check your junk folder, and if it is not in that folder call us on 0333 9000 800.
  • When does my cover begin?
    For Single Trip/Backpacker cancellation cover will start immediately after purchasing your policy. All other benefits will commence at the start of the trip, specified when purchasing the policy. For Annual Multi-trip: cancellation cover will start immediately from the chosen policy start date. All other benefits will start when each trip begins.
  • I'm pregnant, can I still get covered?
    As long as you have not had medical advice to not travel, we can cover you. However, if you are to be hospitalised during your trip related to the pregnancy, we do not cover natural childbirth. Warning airlines may not carry you if you are within 12 weeks of expected date of delivery. If you are refused boarding a claim will not be paid under this insurance.
  • Am I covered for repatriation under my policy?
    Yes, we do cover repatriation, if it is medically necessary, within all our policies. You must contact our 24 hour assistance company: Tel: +44 (0)1273 624 661 prior to making any arrangements. For more information please view our policy wording.
  • Can I get a travel insurance just for my child to travel?
    Unfortunately we do not offer policies for children travelling on their own. Child policies must be bought with an adult policy.
  • Can I insure my grandchildren in my policy?
    Yes, you can insure your grandchildren to be covered under the same policy when selecting a family policy.
  • Do you cover me for Cruise travel?
    No, unfortunately we cannot offer cover for cruise at the moment.
  • Can I buy a policy for someone currently travelling outside of the UK?
    No, unfortunately our policies are only available to residents of the UK, they must have been resident for 6 months prior to the start date and must be registered with a medical practitioner. The insured person must be within the UK when the policy is purchased.
  • I have a Family Annual Trip Policy but am not the 'main traveller'. I want to travel without my family, am I still covered?
    We cover all named persons to be insured travelling, when together, and independently of each other, providing they are over the age of 18.
  • I currently have an Annual policy that finishes before the end of my trip. When should I renew my policy?
    We allow you to purchase an annual policy 1 month before you wish for it to start, this will allow you to purchase your new policy whilst still in the UK (mandatory), for it to start the date you're current policy finishes.
  • Can I cancel my policy?
    We offer a 'cooling off' period. This means you are entitled to cancel your policy within 14 days of purchase, for any reason (minus transaction or postage fees), so long as travel has not commenced within this time and no possible claim has been encountered. After 14 days, policies cannot be refunded but may be able to be upgraded.
  • Can I purchase travel insurance from Insure and Away if I am currently being diagnosed, under referral, awaiting an operation or haven't been discharged from outpatient care?
    We can offer you cover, however you will not be covered this pre-existing medical condition or any condition linked to it if you are currently being diagnosed, under referral, awaiting an operation or are waiting to be discharged from outpatient care. If you are unsure on this matter please call 0333 9000 800 for more information from our Travel Insurance experts.
  • Am I able to make changes to my policy once purchased?
    We are able to make upgrades to your policy, (call us on 0333 9000 800 Mon to Fri 8.30am - 6.00pm). However, we cannot reduce cover.
  • What is the definition of a couple?
    We define a couple as: The insured and married spouse, or couples (including same sex) who have been cohabiting partners for more than 6 months and unmarried dependent children (including adopted, foster and step-children) aged up to 18 (or under age 23 if in full-time education), living in the same household (except children when attending full-time education). Children are only covered when travelling with you or your spouse or partner. When purchasing annual multi trip cover each adult may travel independent of each other.
  • How do you define a family?
    A family is defined as a couple (defined above) or a single parent, and dependent children under 18 years old (or under age 23 if in full-time education). Children included in the family policy must be in full-time education and/or residing with you.
  • I am unable to open my policy documents, what should I do?
    Our policy documents are sent as PDF files, and therefore need to be viewed using Adobe Reader. Please download this in order to open you documents. If you are still having troubles with this matter call us on 0333 9000 800
  • I am going away for a month and am looking to do work abroad. Do you offer cover for this?
    Unfortunately we cannot offer cover for work (paid or voluntary), our policies are for leisure only.
  • I have an Annual policy and want to do winter sports whilst away. Is this covered?
    The standard Annual Multi trip policy we offer does not cover winter sports. To be covered for winter sports you need to either purchase our Annual Winter Sports policy or buy Winter Sports as a policy extra. If you have already purchased your policy without winter sports cover please call 0333 9000 800 to speak to one of our Travel Insurance Experts about upgrading your policy.
  • I cannot find my policy documents. How do I retrieve them?
    If you have lost your policy documents, please firstly check your inbox to see you still have the email we originally sent out for you. If you can still not find them, please contact us on 0333 9000 800.
  • I have bought an Annual policy with Insure and Away, how many times does this let me go away?
    With our annual policies you can travel as many times within the year of cover you have selected. This is provided that each trip is not over the maximum trip length of 31 days.
  • I want to buy a family policy, how many children can be insured on a single policy?
    We cover up to 9 dependent children (under the age of 18) on a single policy, ensuring there is an adult on the policy as well. The maximum size of a family is 10 people (including children) and children cannot be insured independently of an adult.
  • What is a UK resident?
    We define a UK resident as someone who has been living within the UK or the Channel Islands for the past 6 consecutive months. We can only provide cover for UK residents, who are currently in the UK.
  • Can I still get cover with you if I have already left the UK?
    No, if you have already left the UK we are unable to cover you.
  • How can I buy a travel insurance policy from Insure and Away?
    Purchasing online is the simplest way to get cover from us, simply fill out our quick quote calculator (found all over the site, including the home page) and select your cover options from there. Otherwise you can also purchase over the phone by giving one of our UK-based Travel Insurance Experts a call on 0333 9000 800.
  • I am struggling with finding a policy that is suitable and fits all my needs. Can you help me?
    Yes, we can guide you through the process and explain all our available options in order to help you decide what the most appropriate cover is for you. Please call 0333 9000 800 Mon to Fri 8.30am - 6.00pm.
  • What is cancellation?
    You are entitled to cancellation cover if an illness or injury occurs, that means your trip has to be cancelled, providing you did not know about this before purchasing the policy or booking your holiday. Cancellation will cover you (up to the sum insured, shown in policy documents) for any pre-booked travel arrangement, accommodations or booked activities. For a single trip cancellation applies from the date you have purchased the policy, for an Annual multi trip cancellation cover is in place from the start date you specified your policy to begin. Please view our Policy Wording for more information.
  • What is an excess?
    If you were to make a claim, the excess would be the amount you would need to pay towards this. For example, if the claim you are making is for ?400 and the excess for this cover is ?100, you are only able to claim back the remaining ?300. Please view our Policy Wording for more information.
  • Am I covered for foreseen events (e.g. planned strike action or forecasted weather)?
    Unfortunately we cannot cover you for events that were known about before purchasing booking your holiday or purchasing your policy.
  • If I go on holiday and I have a medical emergency, who do I contact?
    Please contact our 24 hour emergency assistance company. Tel: +44 (0)1273 624 661
  • I have already purchased a policy with Insure and Away but I have just been diagnosed with a new (non-declared) medical condition. What should I do? Am I still covered?
    You have to make us aware of ALL medical conditions; if you need to change medical status on an existing policy please call us on 0333 9000 800.
  • Can I make a claim for personal items if I no longer have my receipts?
    We recommend that receipts are kept, in order to provide proof in the event of a claim. If you cannot provide us with receipt claims will still be considered if you can provide us with proof of purchase or ownership. If you are still unsure on this matter please call us on 0333 9000 800 Mon to Fri 8.30am - 6.00pm
  • I am currently on holiday and have an existing policy covering my trip. Am I able to extend my cover whilst I am still away?
    Yes, you are able to extend your existing cover whilst away; policies can be extended once, but only up to the maximum trip duration. There will be an additional premium for the extra cover. If you are looking to extend your policy please call 0333 9000 800 Mon to Fri 8.30am - 6.00pm
  • I am looking to go on a Ski Season, do you provide cover for this?
    If you are looking to get Travel Insurance from us for a whole season of winter sports, you will need to purchase our Backpacker policy as our Single Trip policies will only cover up to 3 months. Backpacker will allow 18 months of travel, along with this you will need to purchase the winter sports policy extra in order have sufficient cover for your trip.
  • Can Insure and Away cover me for trips to Cuba?
    Yes, we do offer cover to Cuba. If you are looking to get an annual policy and travel to Cuba make sure you have selected cover for Worldwide including USA, Canada & the Caribbean.
  • I still have a question that has not been answered. What should I do?
    If you cannot find the answer to your question here, please view our Policy Wording, or do not hesitate to give us a call on 0333 9000 800 to speak to one of our UK-based team Travel Insurance Experts.
  • During my trip I'm looking to take part in a number of activities, which activities am I covered for under my policy with Insure and Away?
    For a full list activities that are covered under our policies please visit page 29/30 of our Policy Wording.
  • Where can I access my policy number and policy schedule?
    When purchasing a policy, the confirmation page will show your policy number as well as a download link to your policy schedule and policy wording. We will also send an email to you containing all information about your cover, including important numbers for you to call in the case of making a claim. If you are unable to find this email/your needed documents please call 0333 9000 800.
  • What does insure and Away travel insurance cover?
    For a full summary of what cover we can offer you, as well as other important information, please visit our Policy Wording.
  • I am looking to buy an Annual policy for European travel, what countries are covered within this region?
    Within a European policy we can cover travel to: <br> Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Austria, Azores, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Eire), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia (West of the Ural Mountains), San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey and Ukraine.
  • How do I retrieve a quote?
    To get a quote online, simply select you cover options on our quick quote calculator (found on our home page). Or give one of our UK-based Travel Insurance Experts a call on 0333 9000 800 Mon to Fri 8.30am – 5.30pm.
  • Do I need to take my Travel Insurance documents with me when travelling?
    Yes, we recommend you taking all information with you when travelling; this will ensure you have all you information you may need, and allow you to have a full understanding of what your policy covers. It is very important to make sure you have your policy number and the emergency medical number with you when travelling.
  • If I am to make a successful claim, how will it be paid?
    For medical claims, payments are normally made directly to the hospital. Other claims are paid in pounds sterling (?GBP)
  • I do not have all the documents you require; can I proceed with my claim?
    You can still submit your claim with an accompanying letter explaining the reasons why you are unable to supply the required documents, but without all relevant documentation we cannot guarantee that the claim can be processed.
  • Do you insure children for free?
    Yes, we offer free insurance for dependant kids under the age of 18. We are only able to offer cover for children if insured under the same policy as an adult over 18 years old, children are also not covered to travel without independently.
  • Does Insure and Away have a 24 hour emergency helpline?
    Yes, we offer a 24 hour medical emergency helpline in case of emergencies when travelling. The number to call is +44 (0)1273 624 661
  • Am I able to increase my Personal Belongings limit?
    At Insure and Away we offer different cover levels to suit your needs, within these the Personal Baggage cover varies, our Premier + cover level has the highest limit of cover for Personal Belongings. We also offer Gadget Cover as a policy extra; with this option you can cover 1 item or 2 items (?500 sums insured per item). If you have already purchased your policy and feel like you do not have sufficient cover please call us on 0333 9000 800 for a possible upgrade.
  • Can extend the max trip length on my annual policy?
    Unfortunately we can only offer 31 days as a max trip length for Annual multi trip. Within our single trip policies the max trip length is 92 days, and Backpacker is 18 months.
  • Should I let you know each time I am travelling if I have an Annual policy?
    No, you do not need to contact us unless you feel we can be of assistance with your journey.
  • Do I have to pay medical bills abroad?
    If you are asked to pay small medical bills when abroad, it is often easier to settle the bill directly; make sure all receipts to payments are kept, and you can claim the money back on your return home. If the bill is too large or you are admitted as an in-patient please call the 24-hour Medical Emergency help line on Tel: +44 (0)1273 624 66
  • Am I covered for scuba diving?
    Yes, our policies cover scuba diving, providing you do not exceed the maximum depth of 30 metres and it is not over 14 days per trip.
  • What are your age limits for UK based travel?
    Our age limits do not vary from different regions of travel; the age limit for a Single Trip is 84 and 78 for an Annual trip policy.
  • When declaring Pre-existing medical conditions, do I need to know the name of the medication I am no?
    You do not need to know the name of the medication, however it is important you know the name of your medical condition(s)
  • Does my cover end on the finish date I have given, or after?
    Our cover is inclusive of the dates you give us, for example if your end date is the 25th our cover will end at midnight on the 25th.
  • I am starting my gap year and I need to get Travel Insurance for my travels, do you offer this?
    Yes, we offer Backpacking travel insurance; this allows up to 18 months of travel. For a Backpacker quote and for more information please click here.
  • Who insures Insure and Away Travel insurance?
    We are underwritten by ERV, the UK branch of Munich Re the largest insurance company in Europe.
  • Can I buy a couple's policy if I am British but my partner does not have a British citizenship?
    Yes you can, providing you have both been resident in the UK for at least the past 6 months, and have also been residing with each other for at least 6 months.
  • What do you mean by GP?
    When saying GP, we mean a general practitioner or in other words your normal doctor, or any other doctor registered or licensed to practise medicine, who is a UK resident.
  • I don't have a printer to print off my policy documents. How should I go about this?
    If you have not already purchased your policy, you can opt for Post Your Documents policy extra for an extra £2.50. Please allow 5-7 days for your documents to arrive. If you have already purchased a policy without this extra please contact us on 0333 9000 800.
  • I have purchased the Post Your Documents policy extra along with my policy, how long does it take for these to arrive through the post?
    If you have opted for the Post Your Documents policy extra, for an additional £2.50, we aim for you to receive your documents 3 working days after purchasing, at the latest. If you do not receive your documents in the time expected please give us a call on 0333 9000 800 Mon to Fri 8.30am - 6.00pm.
Our Products
We offer a wide range of products to suit every budget.
Levels of Cover
With four levels of cover to choose from, you're sure to find an insurance policy to suit you.
  • Legal costs up to £25,000
  • Medical and repatriation expenses up to £5m
  • Luggage delay
  • Personal effect
  • Deposit cover
  • Travel delay
  • Abandonment and missed departure
  • Legal costs up to £50,000
  • Gadget cover up to £1000
  • Travel delay
  • Abandonment and missed departures
  • Legal costs up to £50,000
  • Gadget cover up to £1000
Available Upgrades
We have a range of optional upgrades that you can select to tailor your policy
Documents by Post
Gadget Cover
Excess Waiver
Activity packs
Rated as Great
All our reviews are monitored using Trustpilot, ensuring that opinions come straight from the customers.